Exhaust pressure tap

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Wed Apr 27 13:15:18 AKDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:28:16 -0400
"Ken Thompson III" <mrandmrst at comcast.net> wrote:

> In my new pattern plane this season, I'm using a Super Tigre 2300 in
> an  Excelleron 90.  My Mueller header and KS canister does not have a
> pressure  tap installed.
> Is there any problem installing the tap in the header, before the
> extension?  I thought this would eliminate the concern of having the
> tube exposed along  with the canister.  I know where Bob Pastorello
> installed his, however he  mentioned to me that he thought "in the
> header" was the norm, years ago. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated, I have to get this thing in the  air, I definitely need
> the practice.
>
> Ken

>From a practical standpoint, the high exaust gas velocity in the header
means it is one of the lowest pressure regions of the exaust system.
Drilling a hole in the header could also weaken it quite a bit.  For
maximum pressure, you would want the pressure tap to be between the
header and any baffles, where the cross sectional area of the exaust
system is the largest.

http://www.macspro.com/pressure.asp

--
Tom