Two plugs - Neccessary?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Apr 22 04:54:31 AKDT 2005

--- John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Redundancy is sometimes how you define it.

So true! I think of it in terms of a *single point
failure* not causing a whole system failure.

Kinda reminds me of the old Noble switches we used to
use with our radios.  4PDT, wired redundantly so no
single contact failure would cause a problem. Of
course, there was no way to test for a single contact
failure. :-(

You have to factor in the likelyhood of something
failing in the first place. Historical data is the
best source. However, I suspect the reason for dual
ignition in airplanes is based on data from many years
ago when ignition systems may not have been as
reliable. It would be interesting to find out if data
exists on how many times there has been an ignition
failure in aircraft where redundancy kept the plane
flying.

Bob R.

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.