Two plugs - Neccessary?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 21 11:53:01 AKDT 2005

The last full scale I owned was a 1978 Cessna 172 with a Lycoming H2AD 4
cylinder engine. Absolutely trouble free. It had a Bendix dual mag... both
in one package, driven from one gear. Redundancy is sometimes how you define
it.

It is not easy under "normal" conditions to identify a failing plug on a
carbureted engine. You can hear it but figuring out which one is something
else.

The P35 Bonanza I had was easy to pick out ignition problems. With dual
mags, tight mixture control (Fuel injection), and an EGT probe on each
cylinder, the pilot knew before the mechanic. Like the 182, the basic engine
was a Continental IO470.

AFAIK, ALL single engine aircraft use a single solenoid to control the
master electrical power.
That night mine quit at Chicago Meigs I was waiting for IFR clearance time
to roll around. I sure was glad it did not wait another 20 minutes...

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US