Two plugs - Neccessary?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 21 04:59:19 AKDT 2005

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!
The only dual ignition engines that I am aware of are those in highly critical applications, full scale airplanes and emergency services. My personal experience with full scale has been that the second spark plug only makes the troubleshooting more difficult. I believe the whole idea of redundant ignition is a concept whose time has past. There are twice as many things to fail.

I knew a fellow who was preparing a van for his handicapped son. The law at the time required dual, isolated batteries. The mechanics acknowledged that the isolation electronics were the least reliable part of the van. That was many years back, I hope it is better now.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US