scanner

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 10:08:13 AKDT 2005

Even if a scanner is used it doesn't prevent someone from turning on their TX in the parking lot *after* you're airborne, which is what apparently happened in Andrew's case. At contests a properly controlled impound will prevent two pilots on the same frequency from shooting each other down, but if there are other TX's that are not impounded then there's still a danger.

At contests it's probably worth announcing that NO TRANSMITTERS are allowed to be in use if they are not under impound control. As Wayne mentioned in D6 I have seen foamies flying behind the flight line from time to time. I'm sure in these cases the pilots had the frequency pins, but it still makes one think twice.

Keith