[SPAM] Re: RE: OS mixture question

Rodney Tanner rodney19821982 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 13:38:36 AKDT 2005

I have been using 3M twin plug heads on my my OS140RXs. and can highly recommend them, for smouther mid range: on ESD mufflers set at 23", OS F-plugs, 15% Power Master fuel which gives 7,800 RPM on either a 17x12 or a 15x13 3B. IMHO these heads make a good engine even better. I change plugs every 30 flights.

Rodney Tanner
NSRCA # 2906

DaveL322 at comcast.net wrote:
Wayne,

In practice, yes and no.  When I flew both props back to back on the OS EFIs, I found that the amount of unload was about the same with either prop (7700 ground vs 8300 in air).  All other things equal, the 2 blade will unload more in the air than an equivalent 3 blade (which does effectively make the pipe longer), but, because of the greater efficiency of the 2 blade, I typically don't crack the throttle open as much with the 2 blade.  I think the most I ever saw on the 3 blade was 8600, and the most on the 2 blade was 8900 - and that only happened on very windy days.

I think I tend to fly in a bit closer and slower than the average guy - and I think I am using the throttle a bit more than the average guy (ie, I've recently flown both the P05 and F05 and had 1+ ounces left in a 12 oz tank).  Running the throttle that much in the midrange and with an average lower flight speed (and lower RPM) benefits from the slightly longer pipe.

I think the ideal pipe length will change depending on glow plug, compression, nitro, prop, and barometer.  Sometimes, the pipe length will be shorter than ideal, and other times longer.  Being longer results in a slight power loss, whereas shorter results in a cranky engine.  Ergo, I'd rather leave the pipe a bit long so I don't have to fuss with it as much.  The pipe length is really tied to RPM (1st order effect), but pipe length can be effected by the plug, nitro, compression, etc. as these things may change the RPM of the engine or the amount the engine unloads in the air (1st order)- and then that change in RPM results in a differing pipe length being better (2nd order) .  Simply changing the pipe length can also influence what plug, compression, nitro work best - all are ways of adjusting the amount of "heat" (or timing) in the engine.

Dave

Dave,

Do you find that a 2-blade prop will unload  more or less then a 3 blade?
Maybe the reason for your longer pipe length is due to the fact that your running a 3-blade prop.   I too have a longer pipe setup on my 16x11
3-blade then I do on the 17x12 2-blade prop  Pipe length will certainly be determined by the load the prop puts on the engine and the amount of nitro you use.  That's why I like to keep the fuel thing at a constant and I use 15% Cool Power only so I know that it is the prop changing the load and not other variables.

Wayne Galligan