2005 Nationals Q & A's

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 19:23:24 AKDT 2005

Guys,
          I have pasted a few of the questions into one note so that I can answer them in one go. I am seeing that the randomizing statement that I made is not making it clear what will happen.

Q. I just remember PRIOR to the seeding, a LOT of collusion amongst fliers about what frequencies people were on so to be in.or not in. the same group.

A. This can't happen this time around. The only thing that you can try to do is be on the same frequency as someone you know or not be on the same frequency as someone that you know. The pilots have no input as to what grouping they will be in on each day. the only grouping that is inviolate is that you will be on the same site as the person or persons on your frequency. You may well be required to change to your second frequency to spread out the pilots over the 17 available frequencies. You will use this frequency for the whole contest.

Also the closing date is July 10 for registration. It does not matter if you are Chip Shulman, Jason Hyde, Don McMurtry or Sean Szczur won't get in after that date. (BG) This is because the event director will have pre-scheduled every pilot for every round and their work assignments etc. for every day between Monday and Wednesday. It also prevents behavior in the question above. This information will be in your pilots packets.

Q. The image I'm getting also includes a bunch of tearing down airplanes and moving from one flight to the next.

A. Using the matrix system you will have two flight lines on the same site. You fly both rounds on that site. No need to reassemble etc. planes to do this.

Q. Seems to me it's far more likely to get "Stuck" on a line with MULTIPLE top pilots and not have a chance with this method.  At least with the seeding.there was a "Finals" caliber pilot in each group to help set the bar.

A. The pilots will be put into in new groups every day. Looking at it another way using 40 masters pilot as an example. Twenty pilots will fly two rounds on one site and twenty pilots will fly the same on the other site. The next day a new mix of twenty pilots will fly on each site and similarly the same thing on the third day.

There is no way that you can avoid flying against top pilots from last year in squads of this size. As a point of reference, you all might not have realized this, but seeding ensured that you always flew against not 1, but 4 of the top 8 seeded pilots in every round, every day.

Regards,

Eric.