Transmitter power questions.....

RC Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Tue Apr 12 15:05:30 AKDT 2005

bare light bulb is pretty close analogy.  Point source radiating in a sphere
is the real definition.

A dipole actually has flux lobes and concentrates the radiated power
perpendicular (sorta) to the antenna, with nulls off the ends. Thus dipoles
have that 2.1 db gain (theorically) over an isotropic source, because they
concentrate more of the power broadside to the antenna. Although the
antennas on our transmitters are probably closer to being 1/4 wave whips
(still sorta a dipole), they don't have much energy coming off the pointy
end. Still plenty to fly with in the normal situation. But if you ever get
in a a weak signal or interference situation, holding the antenna broadside
to airplane should raise the signal by several db. Helped me once in a two
transmitters on situation.