Gel coat questions

David Flynt dflynt at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 06:06:24 AKDT 2005

Anthony,

A layer of primer or sealer is unnecessary to get automotive polyurethane to
stick to the gelcote.  It must be free of residue and every square inch of
shine removed with a gray scratch pad.  Primer is nice for filling small
surface defects, however to save weight, it is desirable to wet sand (with
800 grit) all of the primer off, leaving just the defects filled with
primer.  This is risky because sanding off the primer often exposes
pinholes.  On white gel coats, I like to 1) scuff entire fuse, 2) fill voids
and pinholes with Hobbyco Hobbylite filler, 3) spot spray the seam and other
surface defects with white single stage urethane, and 4) carefully wet sand
the white (not the gel coat) with 800.  You can use primer in the above
sequence also, but I find that a final spray of white along the seam is
better at revealing pinholes.  It also matches the gel coat color which
makes covering with other colors easier.

>Will it make a decent white once it is cleared?

It will, depending on how fussy you are.  If you have spot sprayed white on
surface defects, the gel coat and white may not match.  I have always shot a
very light coat white over the gelcoat masking to avoid overspray as with
any other color.  It won't add much weight.

I hope it goes well for you.

David