YS Longevity and Fuel $$$ Part 2

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Tue Sep 28 17:55:44 AKDT 2004

So the YS out performs the 2 strokes? Pilot workload is lower? Ok, if you say so. You're the FAI dude, I'm an adanced nobody.

So why is it there are so many problems with keeping a YS running at a contest? I can't remember one single contest in the last 3 years that at least 2 people weren't having MAJOR issues with thier YS. Sometimes 6 or 7. Of course, if you ask them about it, it never happens...only at every contest. I simply can't say the same thing for OS engines. Webras, yes. But locally at least, I can't remember anyone ever having a problem with an OS. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did, it was so inconsequencial that it slipped by unnoticed. I'm sure it has happened. I can't remember anyone missing a round because thier OS quit or wouldn't run though. Heck at the last contest I went to a coupel weeks ago. Lamar brought 5 YSs with him, and all of them were in a plane by the end of the contest. I lost count of the number of rounds missed or cut short. If this was the only one, I'd be inclined to think it was coincidence. But it's all the time.

Ok, you top FAI guys apparently never have a problem with YSs. is it because you learned thier every minor details, or something else? Because there are very few people I know that have reliable, successful runs with YS engines. Are they just ill informed? Is it the climate?

Let's take a hypothetical. Take Joe average. He flies alone, doesn't live close to an experienced YS owner, he has to do it all himself. He has 2 planes: One with a brand new DZ, one with a brand new OS 140RX. What are his chances on getting these things running, reliable and dependable? Surely you can't tell me that the YS engine is as user friendly as the OS. You once mentioned how us lower class guys get a "warm and fuzzy feeling" from 2 strokes. Well, if one option is constantly fiddling and dead sticking, and the other is getting flights in, I think I'll take my warm and fuzzy feeling thanka very much, and what the "top" FAI guys do be damned. If/when I get to the finals in FAI, then I may change my mind. until then, I'd rather fly.

Here's the bottom line, and you can't dispute this. If you have an engine that works, it's much better than an engine that doesn't work....for YOU. I could care less what the top 10 FAI guys are using, I am not a top 10 FAI guy...and neither are over 1000 others out there reading this. Looks like an OS 140 won Masters at the Nats last year, I haven't looked at this year, but it doesn't matter. Looks like Jason won FAI this year with an electric...not a YS.

Isn't it more important for the average pattern guy coming through the ranks to have a set up he can operate, than worry about what the top 10 FAI guys are using? Which one has the better chance of success for a newer pattern pilot, or the average guy? I don't need anyone to tell me, my own eyes already ansered that question long ago, and every contest I go to reinforces it even more.

Look, if it works for you, by all means use it and be proud of it. Whether it be YS, OS, Webra, Hacker, 3M, Supertiger, or a DA 50 for that matter. Just because the top few (sponsored mind you) pilots use one brand of engine doesn't mean everyone else is kidding themselves. This line of "logic" is what gripes me the most.

That all being said, I'm going to bed because I'm practicing in the morning. Unlike a lot of people out there, I am about 99.999% certain my engine will NOT be an issue.

Cyaz,
-Mike