YS 160 DZ

Peter Pennisi pentagon.systems at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 28 15:06:26 AKDT 2004

I am not sure if I would race out straight away and buy the DZ 160. My
experience with the DZ 140 has been a disaster for almost 18 months. Prior
to the DZ purchase I had a fantastic run between 2 YS140 L engines. The 140L
was a glorious engine. I had well over 1000 flights between them without a
problem.

Then came the DZ. Pulled it out of the box and put it on the stand. Result
was it would not run, it would idle but die lean on throttle up. Engine
returned for repair under warranty in which pump was replaced. Engine
returned 4 weeks later. I had about 80 flights on the engine when it
stripped its first cam gear. Engine returned under warranty. Factory
replaced a number of parts including crank etc. Engine returned after 6
weeks.

Engine ran for another 30 flights before another cam gear stripped. Engine
returned to factory for repair. Again a large number of parts were replaced.
Engine was returned 5 weeks later.

Engine ran for another 15 flights before it had its 3rd cam failure. Same
story back to the factory with large number of parts replaced.

I am currently running the engine at present. It has approximately 30
flights since the last rebuild. I did have to pull the engine apart after 20
flights because the O ring around one of the push rod covers had slipped out
causing an air leak. (I don’t think this would have happened if it was put
in correctly in the first place).

YS have a fantastic product when it is working properly but I do believe
they need to control what leaves their factory better. I don’t think these
engines are a mass produced industry and there is no excuse for poor quality
control. I do believe they have dropped their guard lately in this area.
With the emergence of the electric revolution just around the corner this
could prove costly.

Peter.