YS Longevity and Fuel $$$ Part 2

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Sep 28 12:28:04 AKDT 2004

cont'd from part #1

Just because the 2 strokes carry the 17-12 well doesn't mean the 140DZ has less power if it doesn't like that same prop. Its a different type of power and you have to get it to work in the range its happy. For the 140's this happy range is up over 8400 and below about 9000. If they are running in this range the power is like afterburners. Load them down and work harder, eat parts and don't like it. The 140 2 strokes can run in the 7800-7900 range and don't seem to have trouble. The 140DZ's when setup right turn the same basic props at the same RPMS as the 140 2 strokes.but in reality the 4 strokes are not in their torque curve so it doesn't matter. Turn the motor where it makes the most power. We have forgotten this from the old 60 days.  My experience is the YS motors don't like this low 7800 -8000 range of RPM. So pick a good fuel you can get and run it in the 8400-8800 range. If your choice in fuels is a std 20-20 blend then don't for throw a 17-12 or 17-13 on the darn thing. It will break it. But try a 15-12W or a 16-11 and see what happens. If you choose a good fuel and run the engine so it sounds happy and is not barking every time you throttle it up it will last a good long time.

One Note. I got home and tried the 15.5-12 4-Blade on the 160DZ. Runs very smooth and has Excellent performance on the 30% Heli. I'm turning it up over 8600 and the model has very good speed control in this setup. I also found that here in the PHX summer heat the motor was running cooler than with the 17-12 running the same RPM.  Cooler running is also a good thing on the YS motors just like the 2 strokes. when the 2 strokes get hot they eat bearings rings pistons and so on and have problems with the pumps. Ask the Webra owners about the pumps and heat.. Same with the YS but in the YS hot runs also mean cam's, valves and these parts are $$ and I understand that. Parts is parts and the cost is high for both 4 stroke parts and 2 stroke parts.. I think it's a wash on parts. Yes the YS have more that can go bad and wear.but the 2 strokes need bearing much more often than the 4 strokes.SO in my estimation it's a wash. Besides. If the motor is out of the model does it matter? The problem is it has to come out of the model..this means down time and frustration. One great thing about YS is the parts are available. This can't always be said for the other brands.

If you guys have trouble with your motors or questions email me offline and I'll see if I can help you out with some ideas. I really want everybody to benefit from the little things I have learned with these motors. I have been that guy struggling in Wyoming trying to fly pattern on your own. Its a tough row and I hate to see guys have trouble with any of their equipment. This is what drives people away from pattern. I have a good relationship with YS Performance but I choose the products I run. Nobody pays me!  I have run the 2 strokes and found them to not have the performance I wanted. Webra's OS's and the likes. For me they didn't stack up. Every setup has its little learning curve and the DZ's are no different. If I can pass along the info to help you get over the hump with them I know you'll love them as much as I do.

Sometimes I'm a big advocate of higher priced stuff than you really don't need in order to play the game. To me flying time vs down time for repair work is the most important thing to me. I work very hard to have as little fix it stuff go wrong as possible...This goes for servos to clevis links to motors-headers-pipes. I've been very blessed in that people have helped me along and I have learned some little tricks and tips. I'm 100% willing to pass along the knowledge. It makes pattern fun for me. For me performance is the most important thing. Not how many RPMS I can turn Lockhart's 3 blade prop at, or that I can hit 197 in a time trial. Its how it performs in the sequence and how it will give me an advantage to take on guys like Chip, Jason and Quique. These are the pilots I look toward as the people that have set the standard. I have a passion to fly at that level with these great pilots. The models, the motors, and the radio gear is all a tool to apply the trade and if your tool don't work its darn frustrating I know.

Troy