YS Longevity and Fuel $$$ Part 1

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Sep 28 12:26:56 AKDT 2004

Part 1

Ok let me see if I can handle this in a way that helps you guys out.

The YS motors as Mike said are the most powerful motor in my opinion also. Your reliability issues are a concern to me. I don't have these issues. I think I know why. I'm not saying I'm the magic guru but rather I think I have learned something about the motors in the last couple years.

What prop are you guys using? 17-12std right? and the motor turns between 7800-8100. I have a suggestion for you. Only time will tell and if you are going to run the DZ anyway it might be a good test for you. I will assure you won't be lacking the pull you need.... Track your flights and see if you get better reliability running the motor at 8500-8800. This means running a 16-12 instead. If the motors are turning up in the 8400-8800 they make even more power and they are not working nearly as hard. I ran the 17-12's on the 140's and felt the motor was just working too hard. But this was the best performance I thought I could get...sooooo I thought. That's what I ran. When running this low RPM or high load if you will, I had some problems. They would wear out quicker, ring-piston-sleeve...Bearings, then little things like worn out cams, pump issues, and even a broken crank. Now I switched back to a 16-12 and the motor sounded really happy...not only that it was making more horses. Talked around and many of the people that really knew the motor especially the Japanese were all running smaller props than us here in the USA. The Europeans like CPLR and the Matts were also running smaller props than I was.... So I changed as a test. Perhaps this is why I have had such good luck. Another prop to run is the 15.5-12.5W. The main reason I run the bigger props is for the NATS...to meet the noise rules. But in everyday flying I'm running smaller stuff. By the way I'm using the std 17-12 on the 160DZ. Most often.

Bill Fuel:

Anyone that is paying $26 a gallon for fuel needs his head examined. You can mail order many good brands of fuel to suit your pallet at cheaper prices than this. Mach7 is the mail order brand of Morgan fuels and it's the same stuff as Cool Power. Last I checked it was like $18-20 a gallon shipped. I also know Magnum has a fuel that works well in the YS motors and the Chicago Mafia uses it. I think it's in the same price range. Now you may need to buy a few cases like 6-7 to get the price. I also talked to some folks in Northern California that go together and get a big batch of fuel 20+ cases and they get the DZ blend 30% Heli equivalent for around $15-16 a gallon. I don't know for sure on the prices on the fuels.

I do recommend using a fuel with the thinner oil...Low Vis. Heli oil. This will give the best performance. Morgan Fuels makes a 20% Heli that is the same product as the 30% Heli at a cheaper cost. It runs the same and RPMS are down about 200-300 with the less nitro. For the best performance the 30% is what I choose. Now I do know that the 140DZ's and 160DZ with both run on a normal 20-25% sport or pattern blend fuel too. I have done it. They run fine on this stuff but the performance suffers a little. Pump and needle setting will really vary on these other fuels but it is possible to get the motors to run well on these fuels. I know many that have.

I have had the best luck with parts and longevity with the Cool Power.  I have the one 160DZ that has about 600 flights on it and only thing is it had a new ring at about 300 flights. And it lost a carb bolt at about 20 flights ( I guess I didn't tighten it up?).Other than this Same parts otherwise since it was new back in December. Needs ring-sleeve and bearings for good measure now but its still running well. It has run mostly 30% Heli pro some 20% and about 2 cases of Cool Power Pro-pattern (green) in a combo of 20% 25% and 30% and also ran some 25% CP sport fuel. The sport fuel 25% actually ran a little better top end than the Pro-pattern. But the Heli fuels have them all beat.even nitro for nitro.

........Cont'd in part 2