YS 160 DZ

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 10:17:17 AKDT 2004

This note fired a nerve in regard to the YS. I've owned only three and they
were a mixed bag of performance. I've owned Webras and Mintors and OS 2 strokes
and they have been a mixed bag.

Have not had the pleasure of electrics yet, but from what I hear and read,
these are not the panacea hoped for. What's a competitive guy to do??

A very big rubber band....... well, these can break.

It seems to me about the most reliable and consistent powerplant out there
is......drum roll please.....GRAVITY. Lets develop pattern planes that work off
that. Plus, it's cheap to own and operate and makes no noise. He,
he.......MattK

&&&&&&&&$$$$$$$$$$$$$*********************

Looks like I am the lucky one of the bunch.  In the last four years I still
have or have had 2 YS 63's, 3 YS 120FZ's, 5 YS 140L's, and now 3 YS 140 Sports.
Some were sold with the planes as I have changed quite a few times during
that time-frame.  I had my first part failure earlier this year on one of the
Sports, valve cover gasket started leaking and sucking in air.  Then, just
yesterday, I found that a head gasket was leaking on one of my sports and it wound
up being the head bolts were loose.  Again, probably another quality issue that
was referred to earlier in this discussion.  Other than those two items, my
engines have run flawlessly, and still continue to do so.  There was an issue
with the Sports, and there were 6 of them here in our area, and they were
the fix was simple.  The Sports have an L carb on them and ported as such for
the low end adjustment, and after the Sports are broken in, this carb gives
too much fuel and loads up, even by backing out the low end adjustment as far
as possible.  The fix was to drill out the low speed port in the throttle
barrel to 1/8".  This solved all the problems, and the engines absolutely purr at
idle, and transition is flawless.  If anyone would like more info on this mod,
contact me off list.  I have not had any dealings with the 140 DZ's, but know
lots of folks who have them and have had their share of troubles with them as
most have mentioned on this discussion.  Again, I apparently am the lucky one,
and hope it stays that way <VBG>..  Unless something changes, I am a YS fan
for life..