No subject

Don Szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Wed Sep 22 17:20:07 AKDT 2004

Danny Koolman,

I really wanted to make Aruba but the hurricanes kept me away from my travel agent...

Here is what I did on my elevator.  I cut a pieceof  one inch wide by about xx(can't remember exactly) long balsa (I used 3/32 balsa).  Do the following steps to get the length:

Get a long balsa stick and push it down the inside of the fuselage, from the front section, like where the canopy or belly pan accesses.  Push the stick back until it contacts the mid- fuselage bulkhead, then mark it where it comes up to the last bulkhead in the cutout area.  Pull out the stick, then measure how far back the bulkhead is *from the outside of the fuselage".

Now, measure the fuselage diameter at this point, subtract about 3/8 inch and you have the length of the one inch wide by xx inch long piece of balsa sheeting.

Next, punch a hole in it about 1/4 inch.  Now assuming you mounted your elevator servo close to the centerline of the fuselage (yes the pushrod will move to each side about an eighth inch due to the servo arm rotational) but that is ok.

Put a couple of "dabs" of 5 minute epoxy on each end of the 1 inch wide by xx inch long piece, then slip it over the pushrod, hold the fuselage nose-vertical, and let the piece slowly slide down the pushrod til it makes contact with the mid-fuselage bulkhead.

Now, put the clevis back on the pushrod and connect back up to the servo.  Use that long stick again to straighten out the 1 inch wide piece, making sure it contacts the bulkhead on both sides, and let the epoxy cure.

What I found on my FOCUS 1 was that the pushrod would oscillate, causing substantial trim change at high and low throttle settings.  With the pushrod brace in place, the issue went away completely.

Not wanting to take any risks, I used the same pushrod re-inforcement on my Focus 1.5 and the Focus II.

Don