Motor Costs Comparison (more pro-electric)

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Sep 17 17:18:52 AKDT 2004

Dean & Matt,
 Yes. I forgot to mention the the "programmability" factor of an electric
motor. Whereas a glow motor's characteristics come from mechanical things
(bore, stroke, port timing, etc.), an electric motor and speed controller
can work together to alter the torque curve. Some speed controls take
advantage of this now, but most people don't realize it. The better speed
controls use a non linear type of output (I'm oversimplifying here) to make
the electric motor "feel" more like a glow motor. I haven't worked much with
the brushless motors but I have a bit of experience with the can motors
(from R/C car racing). It seems like what we need is a speed controller with
a P.I.D. control loop. The currently available ones are one dimensional /
open loop. The throttle stick simply increases or decreases the output of
the motor. The speed controller just changes the PWM duty cycle in direct
response to the stick position. We need some feedback and Fuzzy Logic to do
this right. Dean: If you design the hardware, I'll work on the code...
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com