Motor Costs Comparison (electrical set-ups)

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Thu Sep 16 10:54:16 AKDT 2004

Thanks Adam,
I didn't know, but I'm not surprised.

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.
South Plainfield, N.J. 07080
(908) 222-7817 phone
(908) 222-2392 fax
d.pappas at kodeos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-request at nsrca.org
[mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Adam Glatt
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:49 PM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: Re: Motor Costs Comparison (electrical set-ups)

Dean Pappas wrote:

>Thanks for the information, Morten.
>
>If that's all there is to cell balancing, then we will see LiPo chargers composed of many 1-cell chargers, each with galvanically isolated outputs. Another name for this is a floating output. Since all the outputs are designed for only one cell, there will be no problem with bad cell-count auto detection. The downside is that the battery would require a tap or connection at each series connection point. That's really not a big deal, except for the twenty or thirty grams of wiring and connector that would be necessary.
>
>Regards,
>
>Dean Pappas

Dean, not sure if you are aware or not, but such a charger is in
development.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269638

aircraft-world.com already offers Lipo packs with a second connector
tapped into every cell (bank, in the case of parallel packs) that plugs
into a circuit that plugs into the charger to balance and charge at the
same time.

Thunder Power has a circuit that you charge through.  While charging, it
monitors each cell bank's voltage and cuts off the charge (opens the
circuit, I imagine) if any one of them get to 4.3v, if I understand it
correctly.

Having the circuit outside the pack makes for a lighter and cheaper
pack, but it requires a connector not commonly used in this market.

==================# To be removed from this list, go to http://www.nsrca.org/discussionA.htm