What class should I fly in?

Eddie Batchelor perkinsrx at centurytel.net
Thu Sep 2 09:08:54 AKDT 2004

  I would like to share my thoughts which show the other side.
  I started considering attempting to fly pattern last year and went to the
nederland event as a spectator in June 03. I practiced july03 with my little
H-9Aresti and flew in my 1st contest at my field (LARKS) in Aug03 and placed
3rd. I didn't get to fly again until this year
  At that point I too contemplated moving to Intermediate. But I stayed in
Sportsman for the experience. As fate would have it I've NOT had the flying
time I thought I'd have and have only gotten to attend 2 contests this year.
I am flying the 90 size plane also. For whatever reason I've struggled much
more this year than I expected. I "THINK" I was capable of throwing the
40size plane around and with the larger plane I've actually had to learn to
place it in position more. I DO know I did not use the rudder on the smaller
plane and got away with it. I have been struggling to conquer rudder control
all year and thanks to much help from Nat Penton, Don Ramsey, Keith Black
and others it's slowly starting to make sense.
  I think ,in my case, moving up would have been a disaster  and I'm slo
glad I didn't.

  My point to all this is : think it over and do what you truly feel your
ready to handle.

  Eddie