What class should I fly in?

Steven maxwell patternrules at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 1 17:59:28 AKDT 2004

 Rules are rules, until they change that rules then it needs to be observed by all, I was brought up to do by all rules, that being said, the other thing is you won't progress if you stay in a class that you win all the time and then theres the point you also stop others from moving up, I always learn alot from practicing the next higher class than I fly it makes the class I'm in seem easy, if you don't try new thingss you'll never improve.
 Steve Maxwell

"Daniel J. Hamlett" <d77hamlett at comcast.net> wrote:
Hello everyone.

I am trying to figure out what class I should be flying in ( sportsman or intermidiate ).  I reciently flew at my first pattern meet ( Waterbourough ME ).  I placed first in sportsman class.  That is the only meet that I will be able to attend for the rest of this season.  I have only flown the 401 class 1/2 a dozen times, including the meet.  I have been told that if you place at an event and beat 3 or 4 people that you have to move up in to the next class ( intermidiate ).  My question is this.  I did place first but I think that it may be a little bit premature for me to move up into the intermidiate class. Given the amount of time that I have been flying this pattern, should I compete next year in sportsman.  I don't want to brake any rules, so I am looking for feedback to help me determine if I need to move up.  I have heard mixed feeling concerning this at my local club.  There are a few other members that fly pattern there.  I want to know if what their opinion is shared by
 other flyers.  Any feedback on this would be apreciated.  Thank you in advance for your responce.

Dan