What class should I fly in?

Chuck Hochhalter cshochhalter at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 1 17:40:51 AKDT 2004

Daniel:

I have been flying for 23 years now and decided to fly pattern this
year.  I started in the sportsman class and stayed there most of the
year (4 contests).  Although I have won all of the contests I flew in, I
believe that I needed to stay in sportsman to "learn" the basics of
pattern flying.  People like Bob Pastorello and Keith Black, Lance our
District VP and Don Ramsey, Earl Haury and the list goes on.. wow what a
great group I get to fly with (Wayne) that you see posting on this list
have helped me considerably and until recently supported me being in
sportsman to learn the geometry, presentation and planning of pattern
flying.  Pattern is much more than just flying one maneuver at a time,
it involves putting together a complete effort to score well.  If you
"won" the met because you were the most experienced flyer in the group
as I was then I suggest you stick down a couple of events and learn from
your fellow flyers in the higher classes but if you have mastered the
pattern where you know how to setup 2-3 maneuvers in advance and how to
present a maneuver for the judges then by all means, challenge yourself
more and move along.

I hope this helps you, please feel free to contact me further if you
have any more questions.

BTW after the last contest and many "MOVE UP" comments, Keith Black
encouraged me to step into intermediate where I was humbled a little but
also benefited from the strong base that sportsman provided to succeed.

Sincerely,
Chuck Hochhalter