Judge evaluation

Jeff H. Snider jeff at snider.com
Fri Oct 29 10:59:02 AKDT 2004

Del Rykert writes:
> I fly I see your in ointment is for those that don't make the Nats although
> flying for years and very qualified and experienced are going to be in the
> lower group.  Is that what you intended?

I copied my second proposal, the one I prefer, to my website, and
expanded on it a bit.  (I told you I was in a verbose mood this week.)

 http://snider.com/jeff/judging.html

I reversed the ranking numbers to make a different kind of sense, one
we're more familiar with: 10 is great, 1 is not very good.  The best
judges will get a 10 by working at Nats.  The "second best" judges
will get a 9 there.  Etc.

A judge who has been working for years and who has been consistently
good can advance as high as a 9 without going to Nats, by earning
advancement points from 10s.  Each year that 9 drops back to an 8,
and at some point (after judging enough rounds paired with 10s) it
can go back up to a 9.  Since this is a new proposal, some fine-tuning
may be needed to avoid the up-and-down in ranks every year.

It seems to me the absolute best way to become the best judge is
to go to Nats and judge the best fliers alongside other great judges
and under the scrutiny of the NSRCA system.  So you probably deserve
to be an 8 if you have been doing good judging in your district for
a long time, but haven't been to Nats in a long time.  But an 8 is
pretty high!  Good enough to judge FAI at local contests for certain.

Put another way, 9s and 10s will be picking our national team.  If
you haven't watched the FAI competition at Nats in years, do you
want the responsibility of picking our national team?

 - Jeff Snider
 - jeff at snider.com
 - Northern VA, NSRCA D2