Building Lasers

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Oct 24 11:32:09 AKDT 2004

Ken, pattern models need that kind of accuracy, and more, there's no doubt
about that. Bob has probably found that the lazer's accuracy of 0.1 degrees is
adequate for flying. If wings were off compared to one another by 1/32" (0.1
deg), I believe that you would be able to see a difference in roll. But if
overall incidence (bothe panels compared to stab) was off by 1/32", you would
probably trim and keep on flying.

The Robart incidence meter is okay as a broad reference device, but  high
accuracy is not obtainable by this meter. It isn't made precisely  enough for our
purposes; the variation in the plastic components is the  killer. The concept
is not a bad one however; the blocks would need to be  machined precisely
from block aluminum.

Also, consider that any scribe mark you could place anywhere on a model as
the refernce mark to measure from, is at least about 10 thou thick. So the best
 you could do in reality is to measure accuracy to within 10 thou or so,
based on  your scribe marks' thickness, no matter the meter you use.

For this reason, I prefer a simple height gauge with a carbide scribe
pointer. The scriber edge is approximately 1/2 thou thick so I can dissect the  10
thou thick reference marks I placed on my wings, stabs or fuselage. Then I am
completely at the mercy of my  building surface. I use plate glass for  set-up
and check it often for trueness when I am building. Believe it or not  even
plate glass with take a set, so I rotate the surface periodically

regards

MattK

Honestly Bob,

I don't believe even the most precise fliers  could tell if their wing was
off that little bit, or that most incedence  meters can read it that close.
Unless you are doing your building off a surface  plate, your chances of
getting your fuse's thrust line "perfectly" level, so  as to make your incedence's
"that" close, are very slim indeed.  They  will only be as close as the
accuracy of your incedence meter.
I would like to have the manufacturer and part  number of the incedence meter
that is that good, I just don't think my Robart  is that close.

Ken