prop formula

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Fri Oct 22 05:51:22 AKDT 2004

--On Friday, October 22, 2004 1:42 AM -0400 Ed Alt <Ed_Alt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The Wrights had a few things figured out scientifically, as well as practically.

That is correct.  They rewrote the book on lift
and propellor dynamics.

> Had their 21st century imitators
> been more focused on duplicating the conditions
> that the Wrights had on 12/17/03 vs. hitting an exact
> to-the-day 100 year milestone, they might have gotten it
> off the ground too, i.e., they should have flown when
> there was a good, stiff breeze blowing.

Also correct.

The replica flew in a test flight.

I met the pilot at the Aero Club of Buffalo.  If the
team had imitated the Wrights, they would have waited
for weeks for the proper wind conditions.  There would
therefore have been less media coverage and much smaller
crowds.

Even so, if the engine had been tuned correctly (as it
was later in the day), the flight might have gone
better.

> ... I think they deserve a little bit more credit
> for their achievement.

Absolutely.  They were good engineers, scientists,
and pilots.

						Marty #2874