Landing gear block

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 13:16:49 AKDT 2004

I didn't think I could do it without destroying the airplane, but I did. I
actually broke the landing gear block on my Temptress. The fuse is a Temptation
 lineage and has the most robust landing gear block I have yet seen--3K
carbon  fiber base, 3mm "U" shaped ply formers surrounding a main plate that is
around  6mm thick and at least 10 ply aircraft plywood.

Been working out some mixture issues on the webra so, on this particular
flight attempt,  she went fat on takeoff and quit at just about lift  off and, Im
guessing 50 mph. I crashed the sucker into tall grass, which snagged  the
landing gear hard (my design gear and molding) and flipped the plane on its
back. I heard a dull crack and feared the worst. Turned out the damage was only  a
broken landing gear block. The gear itself is undamaged and the crash load
was  transferred entirely onto the block which subsequently snapped. Minor
damage to  the chin cowl and one wing panel where the pant scratched the skin.

The repairs are easy and just about done. My hat off to Piedmont for a
pretty tough fuse. Please tell your fuse fabricator good job

MattK