Suggestions for Sport Pattern 40 - 60 size plane

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Mon Oct 18 06:48:07 AKDT 2004

I put together Venus earlier this year with an OS .46 AX and I
cannot recommend that combination.  The ARF came out @ 5.2 lbs. (within
GP's weight specs), but the Venus is really too large for a .45 class
motor.  It has a lot of frontal area and is fine for a sport flyer with
that engine but it just doesn't have enough power to perform even
sportsman maneuvers with authority.  I chose a Venus after reading some
of the reviews over on RCU, but ended up being quite disappointed with
the performance.  I also ended up having to add 1.25 oz of lead to the
right wing to make the aircraft balance laterally so I suspect there
were some QC problems with the Venus I got.  It might be a different
aircraft with a Saito .72 or.82, but with a .46 mine is a dog.

Have you considered a Hanger 9 Aresti 40?  I've seen one of those
fly with an OS .46 FX on it with a Macs muffler and it flew quite well.
I was also impressed with the construction of the Aresti.

--
Tom

(\\\\ \_/ /-    -\ \_/ ////)  "That's not flying, that's just
 \       /________\       /    falling with style!"  Woody, Toy Story
  /   /|____________|\   \     Tom Simes - AMA 230068
 /   /                \   \    nsrca at shinymetalass.com