Propeller Pitch gauge calibration

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Oct 15 21:02:16 AKDT 2004

Nat, taking a hypothetical example of a 20x10 prop, the radius is 10 inches
and coincidentally so is the pitch at the 70% station of the prop.
The 70% point is 7" from center.
The circumference of the circle at that station is 2x(7")x Pi.
The right triangle would then have a base of 2R x Pi and a height of
10"(prop pitch).
The hypotenuse inscribes angle which is the true pitch angle at the 70%
station.
(Reducing the triangle down to say 5% of the original makes it  manageable.)
Is this what you mean?

Matt

Peter,
Prop pitch is measured at the 70% station.Pitch  distribution along the span
( deviation from true pitch ) is proprietary and  is, in the case of APC, what
accounts for their excellent performance and low  noise.

A way to calibrate your gauge is to make a  template , a triangle with the x
axis equal to the circumference  at a  given blade station and a slope of
,say, 10 inches and check this against  the guage reading at that station.

i.e. at each station a prop will "twist" forward  the same amount in one
revolution if it has true pitch ( no slippage  ).

You do not need to express inches of pitch as  degrees.
When are you going to give me a report on the  Alliance trim !!