Revolution Pro Engine Mounting

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Oct 15 11:01:30 AKDT 2004

Hi Dean, the Rev Pro's engine mounting is quite similar to what you
described on Dr J. The early beams in the Rev Pro were fiberglass and  vibration would
loosen the engine bolts all the time. The fix was to epoxy the  bolts in
place which is what gary Kirby did on his.

The better fix was to use aluminum beams which is exactly what Andreas  Gietz
went to on mine. Blue loctite secures them well.

As far as isolation, the rear of the beams are secured through a set of
fairly large (about 1"od) grommets (like servo grommets just bigger). The  grommet
is installed onto the firewall, and a through bolt secures the beam's  back
end (from inside the fuse). The front of the beams are secured with lords.
Early Rev Pro's used a 3/8" Lord mounts but my kit has 5/8". The rear end of the
beams does not seem to be as affected as the Lord mounting you used on the Dr

Isolation with this rig is pretty good on the YS 140L that Gary is running.
Gary and I added an extra ring at the nose, mounted vertically, and Gary has
had  no problems. I haven't flown mine yet but it's getting close. Weba 160 on
mine.  And BTW, the L isn't enough power for the present F3A schedules, but is
fine for  the masters schedules.

Matt

The one  I had didnt used Lord mounts at the rear but had the firewall milled
to accept  some very stiff rubber isolators that sandwiched on either side of
the  firewall. It doesnt have a tie rod at the back. I didnt/dont run the
mount, the beams with it were pretty iffy looking but mine was an early  kit.

Dean Pappas <d.pappas at kodeos.com> wrote:
Does someone have a picture of the Rev  Pro setup?
Back around '91,  had a 9 lb-6  oz Dr Jekyll with a 120-AC, with the engine
the motor mounted on  two 6" long rails. The front of each rail had a 5/8" lord
mount to  the nose ring, and the back of each rail was tied to the firewall
with the  same lord mounts. The rubber bits were aligned fore-and-aft. The
mount had a horrible resonance at idle. I can still remember Dean Kraus  yelling
"shut it down - shut it down" the first time I ran the engine  up. It shook
that badly. The fix was to put a strap across the rear end  of both rails, and
put a large screw in the middle of the strap that  stuck back through a rubber
bushing in the firewall. This forced the  back of the mount to rotate, not
wobble up and down or sideways. All of a  sudden, it was a really good mount.

What is done in the Rev Pro mount to  keep the back end of the motor from
wiggling up and down or  sideways?

Regards,
     Dean

Dean, the beams are quite similarto what you described in the Dr  J