Webra 160 XP

Ed Alt Ed_Alt at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 03:11:44 AKDT 2004

Amram:
The Webra 1.60 seems to do a poor job of transferring heat to the fins and
head.  I learned that the Webra 1.60 really needs attention to ducting
plenty of air to keep the bottom of the engine cool.  I had problems with
the main bearing loosening up and allowing the crankshaft to shift backwards
enough to cause the prop thrust washer to dig into the crankcase.  This
happened twice on two almost new engines.  I also had problems with the pump
going flakey, also most likely attributable to excessive heat buildup.  The
other thing is that it is somewhat touchy to adjust.  It runs wonderful when
everything is just right.  However, you get it right for one temperature,
humidity and field elevation and it completely changes on a different day or
location.  Some change is expected, but you have to really learn what the
engine wants if you plan to be able to fly it competetively.

Some guys have great luck with the engine.  Locally, one top flyer has been
getting better results after switching to the VP30 pump with his Webra.  The
best I can say for it as a competition motor is that it is delicate.  I just
got tired of fussing with the engine all the time, figuring it would be
better to be able to concentrate on flying instead of being a mechanic all
the time.

Unless you are already at Webra guru status or have a local Webra guru to
commiserate with, I would suggest looking into an OS 1.40 RX or OS 1.60 FX
instead.  Since I could not locate a 1.40 at the time, I dropped the OS 1.60
FX  with a VP30 pump in to replace my Webra in mid season and have had no
problems whatsoever.  I quickly got over the fact that it's side exhaust and
that it is a few ounces heavier.  The wrap around header is no big deal.
You can get one custom made from Karl Mueller or else you can buy a Hatori
header.  The Mueller headers are very nice.  You should plan on replacing
the main bearing with a stainless steel version.  If you stick with the
Webra, there are now SS bearings available for them too.

BTW, the Webra 1.45 that I owned and flew in the same airplane during the
frequent 1.60 downtimes never had a problem with the main bearing shifting
around.  I accumulated about twice as much flight time on the 1.45, but it
had all the other issues that the 1.60 had, i.e., being touchy, having pump
problems etc.  I hope this helps.

Ed