Engines

brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 04:58:44 AKDT 2004

Isnt the Hacker setup turning in the 6-7000 rpm range on that prop?

Jerry Budd <jbudd at QNET.COM> wrote:>More rudder workload for the pilot?

I assume you're referring to adding rudder during pushes/pulls?
Neither Tony's ePartner nor my E=MC3 require any. If your airplane
needs rudder during pushes/pulls you either need to retrim it or you
need a different plane.

>Lower tip speeds, less noise?

The electric (Hacker C50-14XL) isn't dramatically quieter in the air
due to the gearbox noise it makes. I haven't calculated the tip
speeds but I would expect them to be way down since one is almost
never at full power in level flight, and on uplines the prop is
loaded so the sound never really changes much. I have heard that the
direct drive Plettenberg (sp?) used by Bernd Beschorner at the
European Championships a few weeks ago was so quiet, it was "eerie".

>Having to create higher weight, longer, less stable fixed gear?

Same gear mounted lower in the fuselage (no tuned pipe/muffler to get
in the road). Plenty of ground clearance with the 22-12 prop (over
2").

>More expensive propellors?

I don't know for sure, I only used one (and it wasn't mine), but I
think it costs about the same as the 17-12's I use on the Webra.

Thx, Jerry
--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com