Kavan Starters

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 02:51:01 AKDT 2004

I replaced the brushes on a Kavan once, but it never really worked like it
used to. It'll turn over a YS or smaller motors and thats about all it will
do. I could never get the Kavan to turn over the Webra 1.60 that well,
especially when  outside temperatures got cooler. The starter I cited is
stronger than the Kavan. Whenever I cold start a Webra 160, I have to
position prop on the top of the compression stroke, no matter what I do. A
warm 160 will turnover by a hand flip of the spinner though at times. The
Webra 145 is not as bad ane could be turned over with the Kavan. Got the old
Kavan and a like new one just sitting around and collecting dust most of the
time. I only use on occasion when I fly my sport planes(not too often) that
are powered by a YS63 and YS110.

How are you doing on bearings?  Seems like I go through a lot of them.
Gotten really good at bearing changes though<g>. I just hope the the SS ones
that Boca is supposed to carry in the future will last at least 100 flights.
I can live with that.