Kavan Starters

RC Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Mon Oct 4 16:53:49 AKDT 2004

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries do not have the really high, short term
output current that is available in a NiCad. To turn a 160, that Kavan
really needs 25-30 Amps without a lot of voltage drop, at least to get the
engine turning.

A 1600ma pack of high current NiCads can put out the necessary current.
Needs to be the high-current versions, not the receiver types. I don't know
that there is a Nimh equivelent.  Some might argue that you can get 25-30
amps out of a Nimh, but the internal resistance will lower the output
voltage of a 10-cell pack to 5 or 6 volts while drawing that current, which
isn't enough voltage for the Kavan to do its job. So then you got guys
adding extra cells to make up for the voltage drop, yada yada.

Of course, your brushes might be shot also.