Applying poly glue-a different opinion

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 05:36:47 AKDT 2004

 Gary what do you use to glue your skins on now? TIA, Mike

Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:
When using the current polyurethane glues for skins I think there are a couple important things to consider. From what I have read on the list, there are several things being offered up that I kind of disagree with and I will say why.  First, the THIS polyurethane does require moisture to cure, but remember-gaseous water , that is humidity.  I am not so sure where the threshold is but I am sure that if you are about 40% RH you should be fine. Spraying/wiping  the wings with water is really excessive as most of that will never evaporate in time to do any good, and what you will have is a wet wing. I would suggest that if you gotta do it, do the foam, be sparing, as the balsa has plenty of moisture in it...unless you live in the western US (or the outback -Tom) where RH is very low ...like 10-15%.
Second, I have alway disliked the hair spray idea because the bond between adhesive and balsa can now be seriously degraded by humidity. Remember that hairspray is water soluble, cuz if not one application would do for life.....without getting into too much detail...humidity degradtion of bond joints is serious, and now using hairspray just creates a real weak link over time.
Also-the hairspray idea I think originated when most were using epoxy, and it would soak into the balsa requiring excessive amounts to adquately bond the skins. With this urethane that expands, it fills the bond line very well. and the viscosity increase is so great that alot is not going to soak into the wood, AND you want that anyway for a better bond. Adding HS will just give you a weaker bond, with the added weight of the HS itself.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

http://mail.yahoo.com