ZDZ 40 RE, 60 plus oz of fuel now

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:55:35 AKST 2004

Dick Hanson taught me how to run these engines.  They really start to
wake up after two or three gallons.  I used the Bambula and MAS
Scimitar 20x10 prop on it, so yours must really scream.  The 13# IMAC
plane had far-beyond-unlimited vertical penetration but could not
really cruise at "pattern speed".  Perhaps the APC 18x14 2-blade would
work in pattern.

One other note:  the pump in the carb only works at low throttle.  If
you try to choke it at WOT the fuel draw depends only upon the suction
from the engine.  My starting procedure is like this - after fueling
flip the prop two or three times, close the choke turn on the ignition
and set the throttle to high idle plus a couple of clicks, flip it
until it pops (3-8 flips), open choke, flip it once and it runs.  The
idle is super-slow and full throttle doesn't really sag on uplines.
This is the sign it is broken-in.

After you get a few gallons through it switch to Redline 2-stroke
racing oil at about 50:1 and enjoy!  The best part is the cleanup
after flying.  They are almost as clean as electric planes, no more
30% fuel, and no more DZ broken cranks.  The con rod has roller
bearings at both ends, and your local lawnmower shop carries parts to
fix the carb.

I have enjoyed your updates on this engine.  There are a few new 2M
planes designed around these gas engines and I am axcited to see what
they can do.

Thanks!

Brett