to tune the pipe

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Nov 29 08:29:30 AKST 2004

Dean,

That is my observation. I had an AAC exhaust system on my OS1.20 years ago, and at most I saw an increase of about 150 rpm if I tuned the length. Hardly worth the trouble, IMHO. I had problems with that exhaust system, and ended up removing it and running the OS stubby muffler.

Bob.

Dean Pappas <d.pappas at kodeos.com> wrote:
Hello Dean ... Dean here.
Echo ... echo ... echo ...

The short answer is that no tuning is necessary.
4-cycle exhausts do indeed tune. This tuning is not at all crirtical, and produces only a marginal horsepower improvement.

What happens is that as the exhaust wave front makes its way down the long header it reaches the muffler can,
or the expanding cone part of the muffler. In the case of a race car, it reaches the open atmosphere. In all of these cases,
the gasses expand rapidly, causing a "reflected" vacuum wave to travel back to the exhaust valve. If the length of the
header is correct, then the reflected wave will return to the engine at the right time to help pull the exhaust out,
and fresh intake mixture into the combustion chamber, behind it. This happens because of the valve-overlap. The intake valve
is already open during the last 60 or 70 degrees of the exhaust valve opening. This is desireable, even with supercharged engines.

As I said, this tuning is very non-critical. A good figure for the length, from exhaust valve to place where gasses may expand,
is anywhere from 12inches to 16 inches,  for our RPM range. Back when I ran my YS 120-ACs at under 7,500 RPM (16-13 N prop)
I did run slightly longer headers.

Regards,

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer