wing tip shape

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Nov 24 17:41:25 AKST 2004

Hey, That's how they are on my Super Kaos Jr. Not exactly 45 degrees, but
the outboard 3" is tapers toward the tip. If you do this by sanding the
bottom edge of the aileron at the tip, you also add a little washout to help
prevent tip stalls. Not sure if it's enough to make a difference but I can
land this plane nose high without any surprises. Someone mentioned rounding
the leading edge of control surfaces rather than beveling them - I've always
done this unless the surface is really thick (like a barn-door aileron). In
the 1st U.S. R/C Flight School training manual (the red one) the idea of
control surfaces with round leading edges that are slightly thicker than the
fixed surface is discussed. They claim it reduces flutter (without sealing
the gaps) and makes the control response less speed sensitive. Has anyone
tried this? It would be interesting to hear if it works on pattern planes.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---