Surface Flatness, now Faraday cages

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Nov 24 06:03:19 AKST 2004

Grow Pattern <pattern4u at comcast.net> wrote:The big question is;

"Is my Ali TX case a working Faraday cube????"

E.

Probably not a good one. As Dean mentioned, it would have to have some conductive gasketing, but I suspect that would not help much since the metal panels are probably just inserts slid into the frame, without good electrical contact all around (I'll have to look at mine sometime).

Is it harmful to leave the radio turned on inside the box? Could be. If it was a good metal enclosure, then the field strength could be extremely high inside the box. OTOH, to get any kind of resonance inside the box, it would have to much larger. The size of a TX case relative to a 72MHz wavelength is pretty small.

I suspect the most probable stress on the TX would be the output transistor. The antenna is already collapsed or removed. This is a problem whether it is in or out of a case. Being inside the case, it could only get hotter. Nothing to do with the Faraday cage aspect, IMHO. Perhaps Tony could shed some insight on this.

Bob Richards.

Bob Richards
bob at toprudder.com
http://www.toprudder.com