Tent Camper to Airplane Trailer Conversion

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Sun Nov 21 17:39:09 AKST 2004

I have a Skamper unit that I did that to about 12 years ago. Works great.
I eventually purchased an old truck cap and that doubled my space.
For the past 2 years I have been planning to strip mine down to the frame
and build a specially designed box to hold 4 assembled pattern planes.
Not for transportation, but for overnight storage during contests so they
would not have to be disassembled. Disassembled for transportation, all 4
would fit in the upper section, and all camping equipment and field
support stuff, like flight boxes, E-Z ups, etc would travel in the lower
section.

As it is, about 800#, my old Chevy Lumina, APV, pulled it quite well.

Before you buy that one, I have an offer for you. Since I just bought a
bigger van, that is capable of towing my 18 foot camper, I have abandoned
my plans for the remake of the Skamper. If you are interested, I'll sell
it to you for $150. I had to replace the axle contents a few years ago,
so all the running gear is in great condition, and I have a spare tire
for it. The interrior dimentions are 8 1/2 feet long, and 6 1/2 feet
wide, but I was going to build a box 75 inches wide and 100 inches long.
I figured that size would allow for two ships, assembled.

Terry T.