"Cabinet Grade Particle Board"....where can I find it?

Ken Thompson III mrandmrst at comcast.net
Fri Nov 19 03:39:02 AKST 2004

Terry,
The reason I use 2x4's is not for the extra strength, it's for the ease of
running in the screws without the concern for being exactly in the center of
the board.  If you are a little off center with a #6 screw in the edge of a
1x2, chances are you will split it.  In doubling up the material on your
corners you use more 1x than 2x product.  Using 1x2's, to support industrial
grade particle board, the weight of the particle board alone will make it
sag in the middle, unless of course you add extra support to the center of
the table, which in turn adds more material, thus more cost.
I use my style of table to build everything from counter tops to cabinets.
Granted, these items do not have to be anywhere near as accurate as an
airplane wing, but they are a whole lot heavier and my tables hold their
flatness and level very well.
Concrete?  Now that's some heavy duty building surface!!
But, I'll bet that it's accurate as heck.

Ken