election vote

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 08:55:55 AKST 2004

I agree.  There are certain candidates out there that do not trust anyone/anything and tend to feel that a process is bad without giving it a chance first.  We're all adults (I think) and I have a philosophy that I will trust someone, or trust a process, explicitly until that trust is broken.  I'm no fool either - I've been around long enough to know when someone is trying to shake up something and to stir the pot.

Just a little history here too - in the last officer elections - they were all uncontested and the voting and counting of votes were NOT done in accordance with the by-laws.  I didn't hear these people screaming about the process at that time - but those same people are screaming about the process now and saying it is against the by-laws.

Just for the record - I couldn't care less who counts the votes - my only reasoning for having Maureen do it is that she has nothing to lose/gain by the election and thus would be very impartial and fair.  We'd also get a much higher return on the ballots if we combine the ballots with the renewals that are mailed out.  If we ask people to mail renewals to one place and mail ballots to another place - where do you think their main focus will be?  Mailing in the renewal and forgetting about the ballot.  We had a chance here to get a lot higher return on the ballots cast instead of a lousy return we probably will get by having them mailed to a 3rd party.  I'd much have a higher return on ballots cast which to me is a better indicator of where the membership stands and of whom they support.

Vote early and vote often.  ;)