NMP (Central) DZ header

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Nov 15 13:44:17 AKST 2004

NMP (Central) DZ headerTom,
It is a better header. Gives a larger volume closer the exhaust port of the motor. This does a couple things, decreases temps, reduces noise, and I think it increases power. All this at less weight than the original header.  This in my mind makes it more effective. I have been very very happy with the setup. I was originally concerned about the exhaust gases making a 90 deg turn but I have not seen any problems. In fact the motors are running cooler and with less noise than before the new header. Maybe the increased volume is overcoming the flow dynamics.  I think its the only way to go.  I am of course Bias as I helped in the design of the header. I also had run the header about 200-300 flights before they ever produced a production version. It was very well tested with both 140 and 160DZ's. I have also run one a 140Sport and a140L.  I think its exactly what we needed to replace the older style NMP header.

Some guys have had trouble with it coming loose. I have not. Now there is a copper washer included in the header that goes between the header and the head of the motor. I don't have header problems with any of them I run. I used the older Central headers since 99' and other than a few prototype ones didn't break them. I also ran the brace only in 99' for part of the year to try it out. Flew until last Fall without a brace on the same headers I was running in 99'

The new DZ header does give a different profile, and may not fit as well in some models. But in most cases it eliminates the need to cut a big hole in the belly pan. The low profile design works really well. I have only seen a couple of older models that had really thin front ends 2.75" spinners where the new header would make a big hole in the side of the model to fit.

Here is what I have done to keep anything from coming loose. Tighten it up on the motor. Run it one time. While its still hot after the run...Go in and tighten it up just that extra little 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn. But Now with the copper washer it doesn't come loose at all. I have lots and lots of flights on these headers and really no problems. We made some changes early on last fall in the prototype headers to the way it was built to solve a couple issues. However from the very first proof of concept header it worked better than the old style. RIGHT now I think its the best header available. I have been running it exclusively for over a year now.

Troy