Elevators on PL models (still)

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 06:44:16 AKST 2004

Elevators on PL models (still)I have given some thought to the hinge line angles but I can never reason it out to my satisfaction.
If you would sweep the hinge line forward I would think it to be a little like adding toe in on an automobile.

A little squeeze on the centerline might be a good thing. On the other hand, you are dealing with spanwise flow on the control surface as well. It is easier to think about if you make the control surface rectangular, with the hinge line and the trailing edge parallel. But that is definitely not the best way to build a "stiff" elevator.

I always put the whole question back on the shelf because I cannot think of any way to evaluate the different examples. I will never have the flying skills to do it myself and I really don't know what I would be looking for.

I find it easier for me to understand characteristics by considering what a given model does or does not do well and look for the underlying flying cause/effect relationship.

Please keep us advised of your experiences!

John Ferrell
My Competition is not my enemy!
http://DixieNC.US