Applying poly glue

Scott Smith js.smith at verizon.net
Sun Nov 14 16:17:00 AKST 2004

I just wanted to follow up on this after a weekend of sheeting...

First, the roller works great!  I bought a couple of two pack 9" foam
rollers and cut them into thirds for the 3" cage (about $0.30 ea this way.)
I poured on the glue, spread it with a finely notched credit card, then
rolled it.  This really did a nice job of evenly distributing the glue up to
the edges without making a mess.

I did a little experiment with two identical sets of stabs.  On one I
applied the glue directly to the balsa.  On the second set, I sealed the
wood first with sanding sealer.  This added a little over 2 grams per sheet
assy.  The finished weight of these stabs was 5 grams heaver than the first.
>From this I concluded there's no advantage to sealing the wood when working
with poly (and I gotta believe the bond is better to bare balsa.)

Now I just have to figure out how you guys are making 9oz wing panels...!!

Scott