Mix and match

David Gundling DGundling at compuserve.com
Sat Nov 13 16:39:43 AKST 2004

A little puzzle for your amusement and, perhaps my education. (Beats a
crossword puzzle.)

I have 4 airplanes with no engines in them. My object is to put the best
combinations  of engine and airplane together
for  playing around in Advanced pattern, (Used to compete but 45 miles one
way to the field makes it tough.)
These would all be play around ships. My number one ship is still in good
shape save for the dust. The reason for
 5 airplanes is to fly something different every now and then. Usually take
and fly two ships when I get a chance to go.

The airplanes are a Tai Ji, a Runaround, a Calypso, and  a 60 size
Derringer (old pattern design just under 700 sq in)

The engines are YS120SF, YS91AC, ST 90, and a Magnum 120 2 stroke. The ST
and the Magnum will be run on standard muffler.

The planes are pretty light. The Runaround was 7.5 on a YS 91. The Tai Ji
was a bit lighter on the same engine. The Calypso flew at 7 with an ST90 or
a Magnum 91 4S. The Derringer  was about 7 with an old Kraft 61 on muffler.

Which engine would you stick in each airplane? Why that choice?

Thanks.

Dave