Generalities

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Fri Nov 12 10:03:20 AKST 2004

I think I should elaborate a little on the one and one half ounces
per panel statement. Obviously, it depends on the density of the
foam, the size of the wing, the web thickness employed, e.t.c.  The
1&1/2 oz number is about the max value achievable and this applies
to a wing with about a 14 % section and 1100 plus square inches. On
the newer birds with the thinner sections and 950 or so square
inches you'll be hard pressed to save an ounce per panel. If you are
in the habit of using epoxy and applying it to the balsa sheeting
there is not going to be any saving in the epoxy, but if you use
Pro-Bond and stripe/drip it on just the foam webbing you'll probably
save some small additional amount.
Helium bladders out at the tips and topped off just prior to every
flight are your best insurance against the weight rule failure and
wonderful snap and spin damping, however it is a little pricey.