honeycombing foam cores

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 20:48:03 AKST 2004

Mike,
Let me share an alternate idea that I've found works much better than a hot
knife, it's faster, safer, cheaper and you don't have to wait for shipping
from CST.

Use your dremel tool with a wallboard cutter bit.  It will poke through the
foam and you can simply draw each cutout.  I think this is lighter than some
hot wire methods because the material is truly removed, not melted into
another form.

You can save 3/4 oz of foam with light honeycombing which saves about 1.5 oz
total weight by not applying adhesive to the skins in this area.  If you are
glassing, you can be much more aggressive.  For example, I can verify that I
saw with my own eyes Mike Harrison's symphony wings with his 4 color paint
scheme on the wings weighed 9 oz per panel, RTF

--Lance