Gator Giles G202gt

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Mon May 31 06:04:32 AKDT 2004

That's wierd indeed.

What kind of linkage are you using? There could be slop in the gear train, or between the output gear and the arm itself.

But most likely the culprit might be slop in the linkage itself. If airframe vibration was the problem, a lot more would be vibrating than one control surface.

If it were me.....I'd begin by checking for ANY play in the linkage, then replacing worn or ill fitting parts until it's rock solid.

If it vibrates while flying, then I'd also check the gap between the surface and the wing: seal them. I'd do that anyway, as it makes flying more consistent.

Also be sure the hinges are tight and not allowing the surface to flex too much at the hinge line.

Also make sure the prop is balanced. APC props are hit and miss in this regard. I've gotten props from them where the hole is off center, and they were impossible to balance. Before I found this, I ran it 3 times and the plane developed several stress cracks. Ungood, so now I balance EVERY prop before installing it. (Which I should have been doing all along, stupid me).

And lastly, some airframes (particularly the Gator planes) seem to be a flying tuning fork, and resonate badly at certain RPMs. Not much you can do here.

Good luck,
-Mike