Landings (was Temple)

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Tue May 25 07:12:48 AKDT 2004

Bob, I'm really glad you made the point that everyone was doing the best
they could and weren't trying to make poor landings. You're absolutely
correct that the allowance made by the 0-10 rule was the correct thing for
the CD to do. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that people were
intentionally smashing their airplanes so if that's the impression I left
then it should be know that's not what I meant. And you're correct, most
still performed nice take-offs, though I'm afraid that will fade as new
pilots enter the hobby in the coming years.

Of the bad landings most were caused by the wind, but the troubling thing is
that when the wind would have normally forced the pilot off the runway
pilots would sometimes force the plane back onto the runway causing and
impact, yet still get a ten. This didn't occur the majority of the time, but
it did occur often enough to ignite my questions on the new rule.

My points can really be boiled down to three items:

1) There are still a lot of open questions about how to apply the new
simplified rules (at least in my mind). I'd like to understand these.
2) The way the new rules are written it appears that a pilot can now get a
ten on a very poor landing which seems inconsistent with the spirit of our
pursuit.
3) If indeed landings and take-offs aren't aerobatic maneuvers, as the
proposal suggested, why should we score them at all? And if we do score them
shouldn't we have criteria that prevents the pilot with a beautiful landing
from scoring the same as the one that spot-lands with a whacking sound just
before the end of the runway.

Keith Black