Be A Good Judge//was:RE: Defensive judging to avoid retaliation.

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu May 20 17:00:58 AKDT 2004

Contestant judging has flaws, no doubt about that. But I can't agree that
returning to the old days
 where, in local events, people with very little knowledge about pattern and
its many intricacies, were judging guys with many many years experience in
pattern. That was not my idea of fairness in judging.

Not all Contestant judges "get it", but many, maybe even most, do. It is a
better system than what we had, at the local level at least. And many of us are
continuing to help bring the word out to all.

At the 2002 Nats I recall an F3A'er who apparently just did not want to judge
us in Masters, so his scores were consistently 20-30% lower than the others.
We all knew who he was however, when it was his time to fly F3A, at least on
the panels I judged with other fellow Masters pilots, he was judged fairly with
no bias towards retaliation that I saw.

Yes we do have some, that for whatever reason, will not do their jobs
correctly, at local events or nationals alike. But let's not forget the many that
accept the responsibility with pride, and do a great job in choosing those that
won and those that didn't, without fear of retaliation. My hat off to all who
judge fairly. My suggestion and hope for the future is "Be A Good Judge" no
matter what. The sport of pattern truly depends on it.

 Matt Kebabjian