Cub to X-15 -

Anthony Romano anthonyr105 at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 06:40:18 AKDT 2004

Don't give up on the 15*10 although that may be a little much for an OS
1.20. High pitch props work best for pattern because they give the most
consistent speed. You will find most using between 10" and 12" pitch. The
constant speed requires you to adjust your landing. First, make sure your
engine is tuned correctly for the prop as it will change were on the torque
curve you are. Next make your setup that you can easily get a super low,
super reliable idle. On my Stylus there is a notch in the middle of the trim
that is my landing idle. I fly three clicks above that and any lower is to
shut the engine.
When you finish your last maneuver and immediately go to your landing idle.
As you make your downwind pass slow the plane as much as possible. Make your
base to final turn very gently and just blip the throttle as necessary to
keep your flying speed. As you line up for final you may need to keep a nose
high attitude to keep your speed down. On some planes it may be necessary to
set up spoilerons on a switch to kill some lift and add drag on calm days.
Some pilots choose to shut the engine on final but it of course that is a
commitment. The next thing to learn is how to side slip effectively but that
is too much typing.
Basically, slow down earlier and keep nose high. Maintain your airspeed with
blips of throttle and look into setting up spoilerons. Then practice,
practice, practice.

Hope this helps

Anthony

>From: "Chuck Hochhalter" <cshochhalter at sbcglobal.net>
>To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: Cub to X-15
>Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:00:29 -0500
>
>That's right, my swallow has changed its landing habits considerably and
>now I too find myself somewhat frustrated as Paul Horan was or still is.
>
>OS 120 pumped running a 16X8 Master Airscrew ran great, idled great
>without a big change once warmed up and flew well with the exception to
>extended 45 deg. uplines would slow after a while.
>
>So, I decided to try a 15X10 apc prop just for grins. and the story
>goes. much better overall flight performance with regards to speed,
>smoother speed transitions but now it lands like a rocket and I can't
>get her to slow down.  Idles fine, fly the sequence and then 6 clicks of
>down trim to get to idle again, then still have to really draw a
>downwind leg to hit the front half of the runway.
>
>So. my guess is to spend another 30 bucks in props to find a better
>match:
>
>           16X8 APC, 16x10 APC, 15X10 MasterAirscrew
>
>Lets hear it guys!!!
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Chuck Hochhalter

Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events.
http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married