Idle question

Paul Horan phoran at vvm.com
Wed May 12 11:50:12 AKDT 2004

Thanks to all for the responses, the following summarizes them.

* a richer idle setting will help reduce the idle "creep" by cooling the engine at idle. I am hoping this
will provide significant improvement The mixture on YS is set leanest that gives good acceleration.
The OS 91 FX is set very slightly rich, on the ground the idle remains repeatable after 20 seconds of WOT.

* a solid linkage and servo are needed to have a repeatable idle.
I do have slop in the servo, and linkage; but, it does not appear to be enough to cause the problem.
About 2 clicks slop and more than 6 clicks to get the idle even close to takeoff setting.
I do go to WOT to clear the engine before getting the takeoff idle set.

* setting the servo throw +/- 140% will help mask any servo slop.

* idle down may be necessary, I may have to resort to this but currently the idle problem seems excessive.

* xmtr & rcvr pots, I don't think I have a problem here since I have tried multiple radios and servos.

Am I missing anything other than putting an electric up front ?

Thanks,
Paul